A unique partnership of three Broward nonprofit organizations has been launched to respond if our community needs help in the wake of Hurricane Dorian.
Broward Cares is a strategic collaboration of Broward’s three largest and most trusted charitable organizations: The Community Foundation of Broward, the Jewish Federation of Broward County and United Way of Broward County. The three organizations will mutually collect and pool donations, and make sure every dollar contributed will support hurricane recovery and rebuilding efforts in Broward.
“Hurricane Dorian may not impact Broward and we hope it doesn’t impact Broward,” said Linda Carter, President and CEO of the Community Foundation of Broward, “but if it does impact Broward, we’re ready.”
Broward Cares provides a trusted and reliable way to donate to hurricane recovery efforts locally:
- 100 percent of donations made through Broward Cares will be directed to areas in Broward critically impacted by Hurricane Dorian. This will be done through the provision of grants to select nonprofits that provide disaster recovery programs or support persons in need once the storm has passed.
- Contributors will avoid scams by donating through Broward Cares. The three partner organizations have solid, trusted reputations built through decades of impact in Broward. The organizations will ensure all donations are distributed fairly and equitably to address the most serious recovery needs – right here in our community.
Carter stated, “The collaborative was formed with the recognition that a community that works together to share information and expertise is able to respond smarter, with more impact and make better use of available resources.”
“We urge people to donate through BrowardCares.org to help the Broward Community get back on its feet as quickly as possible,” stated Michael Balaban, President and CEO of the Jewish Federation of Broward County.
President and CEO of United Way of Broward County, Kathleen Cannon, added, “Pooling our collective resources allows us to respond more quickly to the greatest needs of the community.”
Donations may be made by:
- Visiting BrowardCares.org
- Visiting websites of United Way of Broward County, Jewish Federation of Broward County or the Community Foundation of Broward.
- Mailing a check made out to any of the three partner organizations (Please do not make checks to Broward Cares. Checks must be made out to the partner organization with “Broward Cares” noted in the memo section.)
Questions about volunteering:
- Visit United Way of Broward County website.
Community Foundation of Broward
Founded in 1984, Community Foundation of Broward helps families, individuals and corporations create personalized charitable Funds that deliver game-changing philanthropic impact. 470 charitable Funds represent $211 million in assets, distributing $119 million in grants over the past 35 years. The Community Foundation provides bold leadership on community solutions and fosters philanthropy that connects people who care with causes that matter. The Foundation empowers visionaries, innovators and doers to create the change they want to see in the community – and BE BOLD. www.cfbroward.org.
Jewish Federation of Broward County
The Mission of the Jewish Federation of Broward County is to enable a Jewish community that connects people, ensures a Jewish future and cares for Jews in Broward County, in Israel and around the world. For more information, visit www.jewishbroward.org.
United Way of Broward County
United Way of Broward County is a volunteer driven, community-based, non-profit organization servicing Broward County for 80 years. United Way of Broward County fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in our community. United Way of Broward County is the catalyst for change and convener of partnerships that unite the hearts, minds and resources within the Broward community. For more information, visit www.UnitedWayBroward.org.