FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., -- (May 15, 2018) – The Community Foundation of Broward today announced the award of five grants totaling $300,000 as part of its Broward Pride program, with the goal of uniting Broward’s diverse community to ensure equality, justice and inclusion of Broward’s LGBT neighbors. The five innovative pilot programs were selected from 34 applications submitted in response to a request for proposals issued by the Foundation.
Listed alphabetically, the five organizations awarded grants are:
- Equality Florida for a new Safe and Healthy Schools program that will focus on institutionalizing a culture of inclusion and acceptance of all LGBT students from elementary through high school within Broward County Public Schools.
- Keystone Halls for a new LGBTQ Transitional Housing program for 45 individuals who are experiencing homelessness because of negative circumstances in their lives. Participants will work on mental health and drug issues and will focus on finding employment and permanent, stable housing.
- Museum of Discovery and Science for a new LGBTQ+ Inclusion Initiative at the organization, which will undertake community outreach and marketing campaigns for LGBT individuals and families to feel welcomed and engaged, including year-round activities that will culminate with a pride family friendly event.
- NSU Museum of Art for its new “A Sense of Pride” program to connect 700 LGBT youth and seniors with the dynamic offerings of the Museum, which will become a hub for the arts through showcasing work that celebrates and includes the LGBT community.
- SunServe for an LGBTQ Cultural Competency Training and Consulting model program that will provide LGBT sensitivity training for 390 frontline employees in six Broward cities to be selected as part of the implementation of the program.
About Community Foundation of Broward:
Founded in 1984, Community Foundation of Broward helps families, individuals, and corporations create personalized charitable Funds that deliver game-changing philanthropic impact. We provide leadership on community solutions, and foster philanthropy that connects people who care with causes that matter. Our 450 charitable Funds represent $180 million in assets and have distributed $100 million to help Broward BE GREATER. For more information about the Community Foundation of Broward, visit www.cfbroward.org or call 954-761-9503.
Media Contact:Kirk EnglehardtVice President of Marketing and CommunicationsCommunity Foundation of Browardkenglehardt@cfbroward.org(M) 786-562-4282 (O) 954-761-9503 x105