The LGBTQ Social Justice & Equity Funders Collaborative – a unique collaboration between The Our Fund Foundation and the Community Foundation of Broward – has awarded eight nonprofit organizations a total of $250,000 for innovative initiatives in 2023 to support social equity and the civil liberties of LGBTQ residents in Broward County.
Formed in 2021 by the two respected foundations with the goal of creating a more informed and empathetic environment for the LGBTQ population, the strategic partnership combines critical philanthropic resources and expertise for the benefit of the LGBTQ community and all residents of Broward.
“This is a distressing time for all of us, not just those who identify as LGBTQ+,” said David Jobin, president and CEO of The Our Fund Foundation. “With our state and national politicians launching hateful attacks against the gay community and vowing to repeal our basic civil liberties, it is critical to the well-being of all Broward residents that we work collectively to end discrimination against all people.”
Each of the collaborative’s 2023 nonprofit grantees was thoroughly vetted by a joint selection committee and will receive between $29,000 – $50,000.
“For nearly four decades, support for LGBTQ+ residents has been integral to the Community Foundation’s work to champion diversity, equity and inclusion in Broward. This must be a place where everyone feels welcome and has a real opportunity to thrive,” said Community Foundation President/CEO Jennifer O’Flannery Anderson, Ph.D.
The 2023 grant recipients include:
- Equality Florida – Safe & Healthy Schools in Broward: LGBTQ students are under attack. We will convene, train and mobilize a grassroots coalition to defend two decades of progress for LGBTQ students.
- YES Institute – Inclusive Futures in Broward County: We will prevent bullying and youth suicide through 35+ trainings on gender, orientation, race/ethnicity and communication to 450+ youth and adults.
- American Civil Liberties Union – Ensuring Healthcare & Education Without Erasure for LGBTQ+ People in Broward and Beyond: Through litigation and advocacy, we will help ensure access to life-saving medical care and education without erasure for LGBTQ+ people in Broward.
- Barry University – Project Transcend - Transcending Disinformation & Bias to Protect Trans Health Care in Broward County: Address threats to gender affirming care for TNB people through evidence-informed, affirmative virtual and F2F training for Broward medical providers.
- Hued Songs – Building Belonging: An Artist Residency for Change: Building Belonging is a social justice project, that embeds BIPOC, queer artists within communities to imbue belonging and empathy from within.
- Museum of Discovery and Science – MODS Inclusivity Initiative: MODS will support the LGBTQ+ community through inclusive training and community engagement that builds bridges of understanding among all people.
- Ujima Men's Collective – BROTHAS Project: The BROTHAS Project is designed to educate, empower and inform Black same-gender loving men in South Florida about social injustice in our community.
- World AIDS Museum and Educational Center – Fighting Stigma and Building Community Through the Arts: To expand the successful program promoting dialogue, and eliminate HIV/AIDS stigma through education, artistic expression and cultural programming.
The Our Fund Foundation: Since its creation in 2011, The Our Fund Foundation has grown into the nation’s third-largest LGBTQ+ foundation, awarding more than $13 million in grants to support LGBTQ+ initiatives in Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties. With more than $2 million in grants deployed each year in the areas of Social Justice, Health & Wellness and Arts & Culture, The Our Fund Foundation improves the quality of life for the local LGBTQ+ population through responsive, relevant, and impactful philanthropy. To contact The Our Fund Foundation, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 954-565-1090.
The Community Foundation of Broward: For almost 40 years, the Community Foundation of Broward has advocated for Broward’s LGBTQ community. In 1986, the Community Foundation became the first non-government funder in Broward to lead the charge for education and understanding of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. The Community Foundation has awarded more than $9 million in grants to support the LGBTQ community on a wide range of issues, including education, outreach, the arts and more.
Contact the Community Foundation of Broward at email@example.com or 954-761-9503.