Art & Culture
Expand, elevate and sustain a vibrant arts community and increase exposure of unique historical and cultural experiences to all residents.
Why It Matters
Art and culture are core to thriving communities and vital to connecting people to their neighbors and each other. It can reflect our society and the times in which we live and can be a strong catalyst to improve the health and vitality of our community. Art and culture also allow artists to use their unique and compelling vantage points to make powerful statements on today’s issues.
Americans for the Arts Florida factsheet, as of March 16, 2022, indicates that art and culture in Florida is a significant industry contributing to economic growth and jobs for residents, representing 2.9% of the state’s GDP. Historically, arts programs have been underfunded and are the first program to be reduced during challenging financial times. The art and culture sector has struggled to stay afloat and suffered a direct economic impact from the pandemic of more than $26 million in terms of loss of revenue and new expenses. As state and local budget cuts continue, more support is needed to create a thriving arts scene that reaches every corner and neighborhood in Broward.
Too many residents remain cut off from the power of art and culture programs that can unite, inspire and revitalize our community. We want to see art and culture embedded into the DNA of Broward in ways that:
- Ignite creativity, build community pride and identity, and engage all residents.
- Transcend differences and break down barriers.
- Help people heal during difficult times.
- Inspire and foster dialogue and interaction.
- Celebrate our rich and diverse cultures and history.
- Support cultural treasures.
Since 2012, the Foundation has given substantial financial support and energy to art and cultural engagement, and we are broadening our focus and reach into more communities by creating opportunities for more arts and culture organizations and artists to be supported.
What We Are Looking For
To expand access to the arts for all including young, old, special needs, LGBTQ residents, or arts education, lifelong learning, multicultural heritage, and historic experiences. For example:
- Art Education — Enable the arts to improve youth and adult literacy using arts as a tool and stimulate career pathways.
- Art Therapy — Provide help to residents to heal during difficult times.
- Cultural Assets — Sustain and grow our art and cultural assets, propel the arts to create a more enriching community with a focus on libraries, cultural institutions, history, and humanities.
- Traditional Arts — Elevate and prioritize the arts within the public and private sectors and promote collaboration to strengthen the arts sector and for educational, social, and economic impact through live performances, painting, murals, film, public art installations, song, dance, and more.
- Individual Artists — Support provided through our partnership with Broward Cultural Division’s Artist Innovation program for Broward-based professional artists.
Since 2016, the Community Foundation of Broward has invested $3.9m in more than 98 different projects that have engaged more than 100,000+ residents in arts experiences sprinkled throughout 70% of Broward cities.